AXD (Art X Detroit) is a city-wide, multi-disciplinary series featuring self-produced events, exhibitions, and performances immersed in neighborhoods across Detroit as well as Hamtramck and Highland Park. Led by Creative Many and powered by the Kresge Foundation, AXD is a creative re-imagining of the former Art X Biennial Kresge Arts Experience.
Apply Now! 2009-2018 Kresge Artist Fellows + Gilda Awardees
AXD provides $7,000 in project-specific funds to create, produce or present new artistic work for Detroit audiences. AXD represents the ongoing commitment of The Kresge Foundation to support a robust arts and cultural ecosystem in the city and the region. The Kresge Foundation’s Detroit Program collaborates with civic, nonprofit and business partners to promote and expand long-term, equitable opportunity in Kresge’s hometown for its current and future residents. The Detroit program believes it is imperative that the city’s resurgence be broadly inclusive of neighborhoods and their residents. AXD is part of the 10 year celebration of the Kresge Artist Fellowships. The Kresge Artist Fellowships are administered by our partner Kresge Arts in Detroit.
In addition to funding, grantees will receive support for project documentation, peer networking opportunities and professional development from Creative Many.
2019 Curatorial Theme
Living X explores the significance, ambiguity and uncertainty of this contemporary moment. In 2019, we celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Kresge Artist Fellowship. During this same 10 year period Detroit has undergone significant transformation – there are many positives and evidence of the resilience of this place through the everyday brilliance and determination of its people. Still, we know the recovery remains uneven and elusive for many residents. Living X is about now, our recent and distant past and our yet to be envisioned future. Everyday we watch, participate and shape the stuff of future history. We are living in times that are seemingly without precedent. And yet, artists in this city at this very moment are crafting unimagined futures; uplifting lives sung and unsung from our collective past; giving meaning, clarity and activism to our present; and more than anything finding and feeding the joy and humanity that runs through this city.
Selected projects will examine what it means to live and create in these undefined times – the X. We are interested in projects that demonstrate engagement with and a unique perspective on the changing landscape and narrative of Detroit and its neighborhoods. As much an inquiry into this place at this time – Living X is also an opportunity for artists to produce ambitious and challenging work at a pivotal time in their practice.
- Lead applicant must be a 2009 – 2018 Kresge Artist Fellow or Gilda Awardee.
- All projects must be new work: Any project submitted for consideration must center on the creation, presentation or production of new work (i.e., original or interpretive work that has not previously been presented to a general audience by the artist(s). Works in progress are eligible).
- Projects must take place within the boundaries of Detroit (inclusive of Hamtramck and Highland Park).
- Artistic excellence, ambition and rigor
- Projects that demonstrate relevance to the curatorial theme
- Projects that are locally-rooted in neighborhoods with strong connection to people and place
- Panel will consider whether the fellow has had an opportunity to participate in a prior AXD
- Projects that push boundaries in their form, content, and/or ability to uplift cultural forms that have had less representation, visibility, and support
- Projects with high potential for growth and visibility
- Timely and compelling projects
- Feasibility of project
Selected Projects Will Receive the Following
- Funding, made possible through a grant from the Kresge Foundation
- Additional support for videography/documentation of the project
- Storytelling + PR opportunities
- Opportunities to network, socialize, and participate in peer learning with other AXD grantees
- Professional development opportunities for grantees around topics such as project management, business development, marketing, fundraising, taxes, and more
AXD is led by Creative Many and powered by the Kresge Foundation. Applications close at 11:59 pm EST on February 18, 2019. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email Dominique Campbell at email@example.com